Thursday, April 19, 2012

Thank you God for my stupid zit.



When I first heard about Nie Nie, it was right after her crash.
I remember feeling so heartbroken for her.
This woman who I had never met,
was inserted into my prayers and daily thoughts.
I cried for her and cheered for her as she recovered.

Last week, I read her book Heaven is Here.
It spoke to me on so many levels.

If I was feeling a little cranky
I thought...
well, at least I'm not trapped in a burning plane.

If I was annoyed with my
adorable children
I thought...
at least I'm not in a hospital bed,
covered in burns and too afraid to see my children
because I am unrecognizable.

If I felt like folding 4 loads of laundry
was a daunting task
I thought...
if Stephanie can work so hard
just to sit up in bed,
I can fold my laundry with a smile.

If I looked in the mirror
and cursed the heavens for a zit
(who gets zits at 37? Me, that's who.)
I thought...
if Stephanie can learn to love her transformed face,
I can certainly see my beauty
beyond that stupid zit.

Count your blessings.
Every
single
one.

Thank you, Nie Nie.

6 comments:

Roger That said...

Wow, powerful stuff. That made me cry.

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Inspiring stuff. I great reminder to live every day to the fullest and with gratitude.

Susan Anderson said...

The book is inspirational, isn't it?

We can all learn something from Stephanie.

=)

Unknown said...

I found NieNie when I first began blogging. I often left her page with tears in my eyes. Don't feel bad about the zit, I am 42 and still get them.. sighs.

Linda D. said...

So true! Reading an amazing story about recovery and restoration (even though the battle still goes on), invites us to count or blessings for sure.

Caroline said...

I totally agree. She is amazing. I have not read her book but I hear it's fantastic. She is an inspiration--and not only in what she has survived but in how much she LOVES being a mother. You bring that same kind of light and love to this space, you know.

Thank you for the reminder. :)

Hope y'all have a great weekend! Sending love to you and your family!