Monday, April 30, 2012

The Stay at Home Mom Chronicles : Mommy and Me

I'm realising that my days around here seem to run together.
Ordinary moments unfold around me daily
and I need to stop and relish in them.
One day, my boys will be out living life
and I will miss these everyday experiences.

So, I am taking the time to document
the simple moments that pass between us.
I'm calling this little collection of memories...

<span class=



DSC_0165

Koen had his last day of gymnastics last week.
He will start preschool in the fall
and won't be able to attend his class any more.

Here I am again, feeling sentimental about
my little guy growing up and moving on.

It's a theme in my life, I know.

Yet, I can't resist marking the days
as they fly by,
or jump by in this case.

DSC_0194-2

When I made the decision
to wait to send Koen to preschool,
his Mommy and Me gymnastics class
became "school" for him.

He learned so much
about listening and following directions
in that gym.

He spent time with other kids his age
and learned all about
taking turns and sharing.

DSC_0160-3

I learned so much about him too.

When we first started the class,
he was just a wobbly little toddler.

The goal was that he would eventually
do the circuits without my help
and all by himself.

That always seemed like a lofty goal to me when he was younger.
Would he fall without my help?
Could he support his body?
Could he focus?
Would he stay in line to wait for his turn?
Would he clobber the kid next to him?

So many maternal insecurities flooded my mind.

DSC_0153-3

Yet, as we came to the end of the session,
I stepped back with all the
other reluctant mamas.

We watched with amazement as our little ones
did a beautiful job without our help.

He jumped, he flipped, he hung,
he soared without me.

DSC_0131-3

The stamp on his grubby three year old hand
held the proof that he did it!

Oh the pride he felt
to do all those amazing things without his mama.

I swooped him up in a hug
and marvelled at his little reward.

This is just the beginning, sweet boy.

5 comments:

Linda D. said...

What amazing photographs and what an amazing way you have of helping us see how to celebrate those small yet significant moments in our life. Your life is a true celebration!

Susan Anderson said...

I waited to send my youngest boy to preschool, and I was never sorry.

Looks like your boy has learned some wonderful lessons!

=)

Katherine said...

You've captured the bittersweetest of our children growing up so well - the pride of their accomplishments, and the anquish of learning to stand back and watch.

Caroline said...

Koen is growing so fast! I can't believe he'll be in preschool next year! Looks like he had a great time in gymnastics!
I know you will miss him next year --I can definitely relate!
:)

Andrea said...

It really is just the beginning! You are going to love the ride, and the bus are so lucky to have such a captive and devoted audience!