Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Stranger Danger

We were checking out at the grocery store and G was so proud to hand his allowance off to the check out lady. He had saved ten dollars and was there to spend it. In his little hands, he clutched a Tom and Jerry DVD with excitement. The bag boy leaned down and very politely asked him about the DVD. He was really so nice to take the time to place a sticker on my son's shirt and mess up his hair a bit while calling him "Sport". Then it happened, my sweet innocent son said "Would you like to come over and watch this DVD with me? We live at __________." He actually gave the man our address.

Fast forward two days. We're at McDonald's on the playground. My son has found two little boys to play with. They are running up and down the slide and having a great time together. When it's time to go, the mom of the other children is helping her kids put on their shoes. My son walks up and says "Can they come over for a play date? Our address is ________"

That's it! My heart pounds as I scoop him up and try to explain to this innocent soul that he is not allowed to tell people our address ever again. He looks confused.

You can bet your sweet ass that I ordered a "Safe Side Video" that night. The people from America's Most Wanted teamed up with the Baby Einstein folks and made this video.


I don't do product reviews on here (just cause I don't know how to go about getting all that free stuff) but I will tell you that if you have children between the ages of 4 and 10, go out and buy this video. It's silly and makes a scary subject easier to understand. It really teaches stranger safety. My son thinks that it's so funny that he asks to watch it all the time.

After role playing every possible scenario with a french fry and a green bean at the dinner table, I feel confident that my kiddo is ready to be out in the world and be safe. He knows no to give out our sacred address to "Don't knows" or to get in the car with a "Kinda know" and he is aware of who is in his "safe circle".

So, I can sigh a sigh of relief while still being vigilant. It's a spooky world out there. Keep your little ones safe!

14 comments:

June said...

It's a big scary world out there. I still talk about the dangers of strangers with my kids even though they are 15,21 and 23. Listen to your instincts.
Too many creepy freaks out there looking all normal...

Kimi said...

I've heard great things about this video. Anything that John Walsh helps with is usually great.

Unknown said...

Leigh,

Thanks so much for this. My gals are 4 next month and we haven't even begun to broach this topic, but I know I need to. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Dr. Phil had an episode about this very thing two weeks ago..In ti they taught kids to drop to the ground and begin kicking wildly in the air while crying stranger stranger 911 911. People will not often react to a child hollering let go of me or such thinking it is simply a parent attempting to control an unminding child. Falling to the ground makes them dead weight. Harder to pack. This trick also works for young women and ladies as well, think about it how hard is it to pick up your child when they are having a flat oon the floor temper tantrum..

HeartsMakeFamilies said...

I'm so very glad that you were there to catch him and be able to explain to him. Always listen to your instincts. Happy Thanksgiving.

MamaOtwins+1 said...

It is such a scary world! So glad you were able to get through to him!

Danielle said...

Thanks for telling us about that video. I am going to get it for when my kiddo is 4. That is my BIGGEST fear.

Matty said...

Out of the mouths of babes, oft times come gems.

I love the innocence of youth.

Tracie said...

My kids' preschool showed this to them back in the day. Little ones are so trusting and open, aren't they? It's sad that this kind of video is necessary.

prashant said...

Thanks so much for this.


Work from home India

Anonymous said...

They are so proud of the things that they know, it's hard to have to turn around and tell them that it's dangerous to share their address. Especially when they are asking other children to come and play. But good call on the video, that should help you.

Tami G said...

awwwww - that's a precious story!
Glad you got the video so he understands now - but really - what a BIG heart your baby boy has!
too sweet

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Tami G

Expat Barbie said...

poor adam walsh was kidnapped when i was a toddler, and so i grew up in a very fearful world.

i think our parents had it lucky.

kanishk said...

It seems like it should be free, like a public service, or like $5 at the most, because of the severity of the subject.

wagyu beef