Saturday, July 25, 2009

Country Western Love




Let me start this post by telling you that I am normally not a fan of country music. I like the classics, like Patsy Cline and Jonny Cash. Other than that, not such a fan.

When I was a little girl growing up in Texas, my grandparents lived in the Hill country. It was a 45 minute drive from San Antonio to Canyon Lake. Mammaw and Pappaw (as we lovingly called my grandparents) would pick my older brother and I up in their big red Cadillac Car and drive us out to their place often. As we drove, we would listen to the Oak Ridge Boys on their 8 track player. We would listen to Elvira and have burping contests as the Hill country rolled out around us.

Mammaw would get so excited when Pappaw would sing the Oak Ridge Boys. She would slap his knee as she drove and scream "SING THAT BASS VERNOR!" Then Pappaw would belt out in the lowest octave he could "Giddy Up Oom Poppa Omm Poppa Mow Mow!" She would just smile and squeal as he sang. It was complete adoration over country western music.

These are fond memories of my childhood. So you can imagine my excitement when I discovered this song. The Oak Ridge Boys? I love em'! White Stripes? You gotta adore that Jack White!

This is a perfect union in my book. Every time I hear this song, I am in the back seat of that car again. With a Dr. Pepper in hand (purchased to help lube up the throat for the burping contest) and a grin on my face. It just doesn't get much better than that.

Enjoy!

No comments: