Sunday, May 3, 2009

Beef stroganoff, tears, and sushi


It was Saturday night and I was crying
as I threw a family size Stouffer's Beef Stroganoff into the microwave.
Why am I in tears? I asked myself
it's just one meal...one stupid meal.
I really should not be crying about beef stroganoff.

I was crying because I had a baby 3 weeks ago
and had only left the house 5 times.
3 of those were to the pediatrician
1 was to my mom's house.
and 1 was a trip to the McDonald's drive thru.

It was Saturday night
and my mom had taken Griffin
so Roger and I could have a "date night"
I say "date night" in quotations because
we still had Koen.

I still had to breast feed every 2 hours
I still had to change dirty diapers
I still had to be a mommy.
Let's face it though, a 3 week old is
much simpler than a 4 year old.
A 3 week old can't argue with you and call you poo poo head.

Okay...it was a "date night"
and all I wanted to do
was go out to dinner.

Just the 3 of us.

Koen was cranky
I was exhausted with spit up in my hair
and dried breast milk on my dress.
It would have taken an hour to get ready to leave.

I gave up on going to dinner.
"How about we order some sushi?"
I suggested.
Yeah...that's a grown up thing to do
Eat yummy sushi and watch Tropic Thunder on DVD.
Then, it started to rain.
It started to rain hard.
Who wants to trudge out in the rain
to pick up dinner?
Not us!

Fine...the evening was falling apart.
I resigned myself to the fact
that all we had in the kitchen was stupid dumb beef stroganoff.

That was when I started crying.

Roger saw me falling apart.
He instructed me to call in my sushi order
drive myself up to Kroger to buy a diaper genie bag
then pick up my sushi.
He was going to sacrifice his dinner and
eat the damn beef stroganoff.

I dried my tears and hopped into the car.
Led Zeppelin was on the radio.
I almost felt human again.

As I drove, I realized that I had not driven anywhere
for the last 7 weeks.
My belly had gotten so big that
I took my parents up on an offer to be my chauffeur's at the end of my pregnancy.
Then the midwives said I couldn't drive for 3 weeks.

Don't tell them but I drove after 2 weeks and 6 days.

It felt great. As I walked into Kroger
I felt energized to see all the people
out and about. I felt adventurous.

45 minutes later I was at home with
a belly full of sushi
and a restored spirit.

Sometimes all a girl needs
is a little independence
even if it's as small as driving herself to the grocery store.

I almost feel like myself again.
If you've had a baby then
you understand exactly what I'm talking about.






1 comment:

Maureen said...

Oh, I am soooo familiar with that story! Sometimes even 5 minutes away can be so refreshing. It gets better, as you know, since you've had a baby before. : ) Second babies are harder and easier at the same time.